How well could you play tennis with a ping pong paddle? Probably not well. Golfing with a baseball bat? Less than precise. What about tracking employee time with your five year old’s Mickey Mouse watch? Hard to imagine.
These examples are a joke. Mostly. Unfortunately there are some very well marketed, commonly used time tracking systems that are nothing more than glorified Mickey Mouse watches.
While I can’t help you save money on a new Mickey Mouse watch, I can help save you time and money by letting you in on a little known secret about online time trackers:
Most online time tracking systems are either a punch clock or a timer – and while one improves job profitability, employee efficiency and will protect your business in a labor dispute or audit, the other is simply… a timer.
The unfortunate reality for businesses that use an online timer (even highly marketed, or well-known but slightly mis-named “time tracking” ones), is:
- The accounts come standard; they don’t track time for employees specifically for payroll
- They don’t use GPS time stamping when employees clock in or out, so businesses are unable to protect their business in a labor dispute or audit
- Their “timer” does not stop at 24 hours (i.e. an employee can clock more than 24 hours in a day)
- They have no paid-time-off (PTO) or overtime tracking
- There are no overtime alerts to notify managers when their employees are reaching overtime
- There are no crew management / manager capabilities
- They have no GPS tracking capabilities for their employees on the clock
- There is no audit trail for DCAA and Department of Labor (DOL) compliance
- They cannot manage multiple time zones – only one time zone may be chosen despite multiple office locations
As you can probably guess, a true time tracking solution does ALL of this and more.
Now the secret is revealed on arguably the most important aspect of choosing a great time tracker, you should now be able to differentiate between business tools designed to empower businesses and their employees, and… glorified Mickey Mouse watches.
Go find a great time tracker for your business, today. For more valuable tips, check out how a great time tracker can improve employee performance and productivity.