There comes a time in even the most creative business owner’s life that he or she has hit a proverbial wall and can’t come up with new ideas. If this has happened to you, never fear! Everyone goes through spells where the creative juices flow less freely.
So, what do you do if your creativity is waning? Is there something that will help your best ideas transpire? There isn’t a magic anecdote that will suddenly make you more creative but there are some things you can do to jumpstart the right side of your brain daily.
Here are some of the ways that you can inspire yourself and others to be the creative genius you set out to be:
- Be more concerned about the journey and less about the destination. Say you want to create a new product. Rather than rush through the process to get the end result, relish the process itself. It doesn’t matter how smoothly or how quickly the job gets done. Sometimes, it’s more important to gain the experience. There’s valuable insight to be had when going through the motions of things.
- Read everything you can get your hands on. Choose content written by and about people that are doing amazing things. Dissect the message to see if there is any hidden nugget of knowledge that you can learn from. Fill your newsfeed with inspiring people. Creativity is born when you’re able to see the value in other’s work, words, and inventions. Start finding interesting people and subjects to read about. Your own creative ideas will benefit from it.
- Take a few minutes each day for “creative play”. Do something completely unrelated to your business. Draw, paint, doodle, take photos, work a puzzle or write a Haiku. It doesn’t matter what you choose to do. Get that right brain warmed up so you can capitalize on your creativity frequently.
- Create a Right-Brain Business Plan. Jennifer Lee has made a name for herself with her book, The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success. It’s the perfect tool for new entrepreneurs that want to kickstart their creativity by designing a colorful, personal, and memorable business plan opposed to the linear one accepted by bank loan officers.
- Sign up for a free account on CreativeLive and benefit from the live classes being taught there. CreativeLive.com offers experts in a number of different fields including Photo and Video, Art and Design, Music and Audio, Maker and Craft, and Business and Money. The courses are free if you watch them live. If you can’t make it to the live broadcast, you can purchase a course and watch it as often as you want in your spare time. There are a lot of new classes being offered each month so make sure to check the website often for updates.
Creativity benefits businesses. Now that you have a better idea of how to keep yourself creative, you’ll find inspiration all around you. The more open you are to the possibility of creativity, the more you’ll be rewarded with better projects, bigger payouts, and a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Using some of the tips listed above, you can harness your creativity and use it to your advantage to form a favorable impression of your business going forward. People are drawn to innovators and with you at the helm of your own ship filled with creative ideas, you can’t fail. Part of the appeal of small businesses is just how inventive they can be with very little resources. Let that side of you shine.